Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Can we really go green?

I've tried recycling. I still recycle, but not with as much enthusiasm I had before. I've found it easier to recycle if the option to is easily accessible. Like if I'm at home in the kitchen and I have just finished drinking from a disposable plastic cup. I know its recyclable and doing so is good for the environment, but the recycling bin is all the way in the garage. I end up throwing the cup in the trash because it's closer. Another scenario, I am in my classroom and decided that my classwork is crap, crumple it up, and decide to throw it away. However, there are two bins: one for trash and one for recyclables and one right next to the other. I end up throwing the paper in the recycling bin because its right there and an easy obvious choice.
I believe that we are so comfortable with our old lives of ignorance that it is difficult to change especially since we have been doing this for years or even for generations. The "going green" idea is still a new concept. I think that the majority of people believe in being "green" and want change in the environment, but the more important question is if they are willing to actively do as they say and believe in. Many, including me lately, are plain lazy and recycle when it is convenient to them. The only solution that comes to mind would be to unite the American public in the cause of recycling and keeping clean the environment, or in short "going green", because a few people cannot accomplish much, but everyone together as a whole could impact the country for the better.  It is We The People who can make the difference, not one person alone.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that it takes a more than just a few people, but to get a mass of people to do you something, you have to make it easy for them to change. The best way to do this I think is with incentives or penalties.

    The government obviously can't afford to reward all lazy people like us to walk to the garage instead of the garbage can, but maybe set a limit. Once a month every house hold must recycle at least one bin worth of recyclables. The penalty for not doing so is a small fine that would go to "going green" foundations and companies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand exactly where your coming from. Me myself i never was into the whole recycling thing until my sister brought up that fact that we didn't recycle. Now we do it all the time. But im still faced with the dilemma of going outside in the garage and putting my plastic bottle in the recycling bin insead of throwing in the trash which is right next to me.

    For the most part if we want our planet to change we need to start doing something about it. Of course we can't change it ourselves but every little bit counts. Who knows, maybe we can even start a "pay it forward" trend by recycling an empty bottle left on the street in public.

    ReplyDelete